Friday, December 24, 2004

Just Finished Season 3 of "24"

Reiko Aylesworth is one of my favorite things about seasons 2 and 3 of "24." She plays Michelle Dressler, a CTU agent. In this role, she embodies many of the things I'm looking for in a romantic partner--intelligence, style, cuteness, independence, integrity, emotional availability, and toughness. I like her.



Season 1 of "24" remains my favorite. It was such an original idea to film an entire season of a TV show in real time, and it was mostly executed extremely well. I didn't like Season 2 as well as Season 1, but I still enjoyed the show as it is much better than much of what is available on television. I feel much the same about Season 3.

One of my favorite things about the show is that it consistently defies "TV Rules." It seems like there must be a book of "TV Rules" somewhere, because you can almost always predict what's going to happen next on just about every TV show ever. The thing that "24" does brilliantly to lull you into believing you know what's going to happen next, and then doing a 180... followed by a 270 in the opposite direction. By the time the writers are done with you, you don't remember which way you were facing before.

Sometimes the writing can be a bit cheesy, but I don't believe that this seriously detracts from the show. It must be an extremely demanding job to write a story that takes place in 24 1 hour segments in real time where each 1 hour segment ends on a cliff-hanger. That said, the writers of the show chose to undertake that responsibility, so even though I can understand their occasional lapses into cliche writing, it doesn't excuse it. "24" has yet to be all it could be. Season 1 was closest.

The trailer for Season 4 was on the Season 3 DVD set. I'll not be watching Season 4 when it airs as I enjoy watching "24" in as few days as possible. Not knowing what I was putting into my DVD player when I was given Season 1 as a Christmas gift 2 years ago, I planned to simply watch a couple of episodes. As it turned out, I watched 16 episodes in one day. I haven't repeated that achievment, but not for lack of trying :)

To all the actors and writers of "24," thank you for the great storytelling. And a special "Thank you" to Reiko Aylesworth for dramatizing in Michelle Dressler my ideal woman.

No comments: