Sunday, December 19, 2004

Failed Romantic Opportunity

So I'm at this Christmas party the other night for this company that I used to work for, which I now do contract work for. It takes me 20 minutes just to find a parking place, and it's two blocks away from the party. So when I get inside, I'm handed a little card to get a free drink. So I go up to the bar to get something, but I'm not sure what I want. Since it's someone else's dime, I figure I can be experimental-like, so I ask what I should get to warm me up.

The bartender--she's cute. Thick, dark, straight hair swept back in a pony-tail. Ovular face, narrow chin, thick but stylish glasses.

She recommends Jack & Coke. I've never had Jack & Coke before (my friends gasping in shock), so I say sure, why not.

Jack & Coke is good.

Did I mention that Jack & Coke is good? mmmmmmmm

Anyway, I go back to my table and chat with friends for an hour or so. About that time some other friends who don't drink ask who wants their drink card. After volunteering and obtaining the free drink card, I make my way back to the bar.

"I'll have another Jack & Coke, please."

"Sure. I thought you guys were going to be partiers. The CEO said you're all a bunch of partiers."

"Not me--I'm a computer nerd" I counter.

"I'm a book nerd," she says, "I get through about a book a week.

(Inner monologue: wow, she's cute and she can read!)

"I don't get through a book a week, but I average 100 or so pages a day. What kinds of stuff do you read?"

(More inner monologue: She's into me, I can tell. So this is what it feels like to know for sure that someone you just met is into you.)

"I like to read these books... I guess you can say they're kind of like romance novels, but with vampires."

(Still more inner monologue: I wonder if I can still run fast?)

"Okay. Thanks for the Jack & Coke. See ya'"

So I guess it was a good experience in the sense that I enjoyed knowing beyond doubt that an attractive woman was into me. But damn, is everybody into the stupid vampire thing? I mean, I like Buffy and all, but I don't have sexual fantasies involving dead people that want to drain the blood from my body. Jeez! Besides, Buffy isn't really about vampires. As my friend Michael is want to say, that's the setting, not the theme.

And she had such a gleam in her eyes when she "vampires." My dogs are more rational than that.

All I want for Christmas is a smart, cute, rational woman, connected to the real world, able to be honest with herself, financially secure and responsible, honest, career-oriented woman with good sense of style and a goofy sense of humor. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: