Sunday, December 26, 2004

Happy Holidays

I spent Christmas with my friends M. and C.. It's fun going to their house not only because they're great company, but because I can take the dogs. My boys are my family, so I don't like being separated from them for days at a time; especially not on holidays.

Toby unfortunately seemed to be anxious most of the time he was there. Toby is already the low-dog on the totem pole in our home--Samwise took over pack leadership the day he stumbled in the door--but being the low-dog on a totem pole with 3 other dogs was a bit much for him. He didn't seem to realize that when Idris nipped at him, she was just playing. He took it personally and went after her barking, teeth bared, and terror in his eyes that she might take up his challenge. Samwise on the other hand felt out the limits with the two doberman's, and quickly established that he wasn't going to take any other dog's BS. Not bad considering that Holly and Idris are each twice his size.

M. and C. are fabulous hosts. C. made a fabulous Christmas dinner which we all pigged out on. She also had lots of fab sweets and goodies to snack on in the meantime. M. got me started on a new drink--think Jack & Coke w/o with Maker's Mark instead. mmmmmmmm.

M. and I had a bad-movie contest. I brought The Forbidden Zone, and he had me watch Peter Jackson's Dead Alive.

What struck me most about my holiday was how much fun I had. M., C., and I discussed how it's very rare that families get together for the holidays and actually enjoy it. There's usually a lot of fighting and bickering--TV and Movies lie. There are families that are actually close and enjoy one another's company. I have friends that have that sort of relationship. It's quite a beautiful thing when it happens, but it's rare. What we did was much more fun than the typical reality--just 3 friends and their 4 dogs hangin' out and enjoying one another's company.

Here's hoping that the rest of you had as much fun as I did for Christmas. :)

No comments: