Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Maria Mena

I almost hate to say it, but her song "You're the Only One" really appeals to me. She's definitely all pop star at this point, but she is clearly distinguished from the Christina Aguilera / Brit'ney Spears crowd. First of all, she writes her own songs. That's a big deal for me as I don't believe that anyone that doesn't know how to write their own songs really knows how to sing.

Perhaps one might argue that most pop is fluff. I actually agree, but fun fluff is still fun. I'll be watching this girl to see what she does when she grows older. I've often wished that Christina Aguilera would do a jazz album as her voice is definitely suited to that style--I think that Maria Mena is fine where she is right now, but as she matures, I believe that her music will too.

SOUNDTHESIRENS.COM - Review :: Maria Mena - White Turns Blue

No comments: