Monday, November 29, 2004

Samwise

Samwise Posted by Hello

Sometimes TV gets it right. I caught the end of Law & Order tonight. L&O is one of my favorite shows. It's about the only show I can watch endless reruns of and stay interested. Tonight's episode was about a family whose Pitbull attacked and killed a jogger. It turned out that the dog's owners had been tormenting the animal in order to make it more fierce. The episode ended with the couple going to prison for 3 years, and the dog being put down. The quip at the end was "makes you wish the sentences had been reversed." Absolutely.

The biggest part of a dog's personality, regardless of breed, is due to his owner's training. People that do this to their dogs do a great disservice to dog-lovers everywhere. I hold them in the lowest esteem, along with people that abuse children. I'm no believer in animal rights, but cruelty for its own sake is immoral.

My Sammy is half Pitbull, and it really shows in his physique and personality. He's one of the most affectionate and loving animals I've ever known. He watches every move I make, follows me from room to room, and generally keeps his guard up. As long as he senses that I'm comfortable, he's a perfect gentleman with other dogs, children, and other people. When I see parents rein their children in with a look of fear in their eyes directed at my Sammy, I don't hold it against them. They're acting rationally within the context of their knowledge. It's the people that gave them good reason to be afraid that I blame. I wish I could make them believe that the worst thing Sammy would ever do to their children is kiss them to death.

No comments: