Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Music

Music is an extremely important value in my life. I like a broad range of musical styles and periods. It's been thisway since I was 14 years old. My first cassettes were Brahsm, Mozart, and Motley Crue. I'm not sure why I'm so passionately interested in music as against the other fine arts, which I appreciate, but can live without. It's such an important value that I couldn't possibly consider a romance with someone that didn't love music as well.

As much as I love music, there is very little of it that I love--does that make sense? What I mean is that I am very judicious with my musical choices, but I spend a great deal of time listening to music I love, and seeking out new music to love. A rare gift is when someone introduces me to an artist that I have not previously heard and I end up liking. This morning a work buddy sent me a link to a performance of a concerto for guitar that is simply beautiful. The composer is Joaquin Rodrigo, and the guitar is played by Narciso Yepes.

In addition, I've recently become very interested in a speed-metal band called Dragon Force. They're probably the fastest, heaviest band I've ever heard--yet they still manage to remain melodic. They're songs have an epic quality reminiscent of Iron Maiden and Helloween--only more so. I've bought all three of their albums and have been listening to them pretty much non-stop for the last few weeks. Good stuff!

No comments: