Sunday, June 25, 2006

The cost of convenience

I wasn't always a white-collar worker earning a decent living. I used to work in fast-food restaurants, factories, and whatnot. During those years, money was hard to come by, and too easy to spend. I would wait in line at the cheaper gas station to save 50 cents, or shop for groceries and clothes at Wal-Mart because the prices were cheaper.

Nowadays, I earn enough money that I don't really have to worry about money too much. I'm still not rolling in it--I can't just go spending hog-wild and expect to have anything left. I'd love to have a couple of 19" flat panel monitors for my computer, but my savings isn't where it's supposed to be right now, so--delayed.

But, without really noticing it, my shopping habits have changed. I go to Target for my basic clothing needs. I buy gas from the pricier place. I buy groceries from Publix. All of these places are a bit more expensive than my former choices, but not by much. The reason I started choosing them was because they are more convenient. I don't have to wait in line for gas at the pricier station. I don't have to work my way through narrow crowded aisles filled with screaming children at Target and Publix. Further, I find that the general quality of items available is better at Target and the Publix Deli. This makes sense of course--Wal Mart's entire business model is devoted to "cheap"--and there was a time when that was of primary importance to me. I'm glad it was there for me when I needed it, but that time is gone now. Between the crowded aisles and the long lines, Wal-Mart literally isn't worth my time.

Lesson: convenience has a cost--it's about 50 cents for gas, and about $5 per person per week at retail/food establishments. Sounds great to me!

No comments: