Thursday, May 11, 2006

On being sick, and other stuff

Being sick blows. I started feeling a bit wonky yesterday, and it got a bit worse today. My boss suggested that I visit the on-site nurse-practitioner. What a great idea! I had forgotten that my company had hired a full-time nurse to deal with day-to-day health issues of the employees. This is a really great benefit!

She suggested that I get some over-the-counter medication. I did, but after a while, I was still feeling worse. Concentration was simply out of the question, so reluctantly, I came home. I have had a pounding headache all day along with throat irritation, radical temperature changes, and coughing. Sleep has not been restful in the least.

I'm having a bit of lucidity right now, so I figured I'd bitch about being sick to the world!--or at least to the 5 or 6 people that read my blog. :-)

In other news, I'm fascinated by the inspiration that Christians are taking from Muslims. After the Danish cartoon debacle, President Bush's statement that "all religions should be respected" is now being used as an argument to ban the movie version of "The Da Vinci Code." I have not yet read the Da Vinci code. As an atheist, I don't much care if Jesus was married or not. However, I'm given to understand that it's quite the well-written thriller. I intend to read it at some point for that reason.

A year ago, Christians would only have half-heartedly called for "The Da Vinci Code" to be banned. After seeing how the Muslims got their way with the cartoons, they have gotten braver, more insistent. This is a very dangerous trend that must be opposed vehemently. It must be made clear that free speech means the right to disagree: to hold views that do violate the sensibilities of others. Specifically, the sensibilities of others do not matter when considering the issue of the First Amendment. That the president of this country should state otherwise is downright scary.

What little lucidity I had is fading, so I'll sign off now.
$

No comments: